Program Advisor (PA), Program Strategy, Development and Innovation (PSDI) (2 positions) – CUSO International
Location: Ottawa/Ontario-Virtual working/Global (any country where Cuso International operates in Africa and LAC)
Reports to: Manager, PSDI
Bargaining unit status: Excluded
Classification: Band 4
Salary range: CA$59,352 – CA$72,315 per annum
Language requirements: Bilingualism (English & French; English & Spanish)
ABOUT CUSO INTERNATIONAL
Cuso is a community development organization that works to reduce inequality through efforts of highly skilled volunteers, collaborative partnerships and compassionate donors. Cuso collaborates with partners to enhance women’s and girls’ empowerment, promote inclusive livelihoods and advance gender equality. Each year, Cuso amplifies their impact by mobilizing hundreds of professionals who volunteer their time and share their experience. Cuso is a people-centred organization that prioritizes working in partnership with local organizations. Cuso presently supports programs implemented in Africa, Canada, Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC). Find out more at www.cusointernational.org
ABOUT THE ROLE
After 60 years, Cuso has embarked on a process of renewal. In an era of rapidly changing contexts for international cooperation, Cuso is looking for an experienced PA that has ambition for contributing to advance human rights, reduce inequality and create both economic and social opportunities for marginalized groups. The PA will be part of Cuso’s PSDI Team, comprised of program development specialists and thematic experts and will be responsible for supporting country program offices (CPOs) in Africa and LAC to develop new projects and partnerships that are aligned with Cuso’s Strategic Plan and mobilize funding from national, regional and international donors to scale-up and maximize Cuso’s impact globally. This position will harness expertise in program/project design, development of partnerships and identifying donor opportunities. The PA will report to the Manager, PSDI and will work closely with Heads of Programs (HoPs) for Africa and LAC and country program offices (CPOs) as well as with key departments at Cuso’s office in Ottawa.
- Advise and provide support to CPOs in Africa (Benin, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ethiopia, Nigeria and Tanzania) and LAC (Caribbean, Colombia, Honduras and Peru) with the design of impactful programs/projects, including identifying potential partners and carrying-out project ideation with CPOs.
- Undertake independent online and internal/external consultations as well as research to identify innovative program development opportunities, new partnerships, networks and donors and support the CPOs in Africa and LAC to engage these opportunities.
- Analyze thematic and financial details of new program development opportunities for long-term sustainability of Cuso in Africa and LAC as well as suggest innovative approaches and partnerships to maximize impact and expansion of Cuso’s programming globally.
- In coordination with PSDI Team, HoPs, CPOs and key departments in Cuso office in Canada (e.g MEAL Team), take the lead in planning, coordinating, writing and editing program/project development documents (e.g. proposals and concept notes) for submission to donors, ensuring a participatory and well-organized process.
- Prepare, review and ensure all documentation for donor submissions is prepared according to donor guidelines.
- Manage approval processes with Manager, PSDI and HoPs for the submissions of documents to donors.
- In coordination with members of PSDI Team and CPOs, maintain records for Cuso with donor information, donor submissions, results, etc.
- When required, support and provide training to CPOs on the development of results-based management (RBM) tools, including logic models, performance measurement frameworks and risk registers.
- Support maintenance of relationships with CPOs to meet and agree upon program development objectives to support and expand Cuso’s programming globally.
- Contribute to organizational knowledge sharing and learning, including coordination with Cuso’s Program Quality and Impact (PSI) Team (e.g. MEAL Team) and participation in thought leadership activities, such as conferences, meetings and working groups.
- University degree in international development or a related field
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience in international development or a related field
- A proven track record in program/project design and technical proposal development for a variety of donors, including Global Affairs Canada (GAC), USAID, European Union, UN Agencies, etc.
- Experience with MEAL systems and frameworks
- Experience working with international development agencies, including strong knowledge of technical requirements for program/project design
- Strong ability to draft and edit program development content for various audiences, including proposals, concept notes, technical applications, briefing notes, etc.
- Knowledge of current issues and trends in gender equality and/or economic empowerment and/or migrant/refugee assistance and/or sexual and reproductive health and rights and/or climate and environment in Africa and/or LAC
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency with Word, Excel, Outlook and web-based research; knowledge of Raiser’s Edge software an asset
- Excellent communication (written and verbal in both English and French/Spanish) and interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a multi-cultural team
- Highly organized with great attention to detail, good team coordination skills and able to work independently
- Ability to work irregular hours (evenings and weekends) and willingness to travel internationally, when necessary
HOW TO APPLY!
Cuso is committed to creating and fostering an inclusive culture. We strive to actively celebrate diversity, advance our equitable practices, and drive greater inclusion. We offer a comprehensive employee benefits package and insurance, generous days of paid time off, including vacation, personal days, and sick days, and more.
Please click the “Apply for This Job” button to submit your application by November 18, 2022, at 11:59PM (EST). Expressions of interest should be sent in English. Your résumé and one-page cover letter should demonstrate how you meet all the essential and any desirable qualifications. Please note that a confirmation email will be generated once you submit your application, but it may be directed to your spam or junk folders of your email inbox.
Cuso is an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from all qualified applicants. Accommodations will be provided at any stages of the hiring process upon request. Thank you for your interest in Cuso.