Opportunity for Manager, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Kwantlen Polytechnic University
KPU offers all learners opportunities to achieve success in a diverse range of programs that blend theory and practice, critical understanding, and social and ethical awareness necessary for good citizenship and rewarding careers. KPU strives to implement initiatives that will attract, support, engage, and retain KPU’s people and create an environment where all employees see themselves as contributing to student learning.
JOB OVERVIEW: MANAGER, EQUITY DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
The Manager, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) is responsible for building and developing new initiatives that support KPU’s strategic equity, diversity and inclusion priorities. This position will serve as an internal expert and advisor for workplace equity, diversity, and inclusion and will create and support the implementation of multi-pronged strategies and employee learning programs that contribute to a more inclusive workplace environment.
This position will partner with Human Resources team members as well as various other internal stakeholders and university committees to create and provide ongoing support for workplace programs, practices and initiatives that support KPU’s commitment to an equitable and inclusive learning and working environment that enables every member of our diverse community to thrive. Responsibilities will include the development and implementation of HR practices, programs and initiatives; facilitation of internal taskforces, committees or teams; development and implementation of EDI learning programs; and coordination of workplace equity, diversity and inclusion focused events.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (i.e. Human Resources, Sociology, Education, Business Administration, Law, etc.).
- Minimum of five (5) years of progressively more responsible diversity and inclusion experience in a work environment, including experience in implementation of and supporting diversity committees and employee resource groups; preferably in a public sector/post-secondary setting.
- Formal training or certification in EDI, fostering equity, diversity, inclusion, building global competencies, and/or intercultural communication.
- Or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Well-developed knowledge and understanding of EDI, organizational development, change management, employee engagement, and organizational design.
- A high level of cultural competency.
- Demonstrated experience researching, designing, developing, and delivering EDI and organizational development programs and initiatives.
- Demonstrated experience in group facilitation, curriculum development, facilitating organizational change and transition, team or group dynamics, and organizational assessments.
- Knowledgeable of issues and concerns of equity-deserving groups; contextual understanding of the dynamics of prejudice and discrimination.
- Experience in working with individuals from equity deserving groups; comfortable working with diversity; sensitive to others’ needs.
- Demonstrated ability to support and manage emotionally charged conversations.
- Thorough understanding and working knowledge of human rights laws and other relevant legislation.
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative research and data analysis.
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written) and the ability to communicate and work-effectively with culturally diverse groups at different levels in the organization.
- Strong presentation skills, including experience delivering to both small and large audiences.
- Ability to design, deliver, and source training.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality, exercise initiative, discretionary judgment, and act with tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to take initiative and independently plan, organize, coordinate, and perform work in various situations where numerous and diverse demands are involved.
- Ability to interpret and apply university and departmental policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Ability to multi-task, be self-directed, to make decisions and to meet deadlines and changing priorities while maintaining a high level of service.
- Superior attention to detail.
- Intercampus travel is required, possession of a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle is preferred.
Please visit our career centre for further information: https://www.kpu.ca/hr/career-opportunities
Note to Applicants
The University welcomes and encourages applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression. If you require an accommodation through our hiring process, please include your request in the application email.
We thank all applicants for their interest in employment with KPU. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University is committed to protecting the safety and welfare of employees, students, and the general public, and upholding the reputation and integrity of the University. For this reason, final applicants will be asked to undergo a background check.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.